Sunday, April 6, 2014

Dividend Income Report March 2014



Here we are again, my favorite time of the month.  It's time to report my dividend earnings for March, 2014.  We are just three months into this new dividend investing strategy and already the numbers are beginning to add up.  March was by far my best month yet, here are the results:

Prospect Capital Corp (PSEC):     $11.04
McDonalds (MCD):                        $8.91
Target (TGT):                                $7.74
Chevron (CVX):                             $9.00
Intel Corp (INTC):                          $10.13

This was by far my best month yet!  The grand total for March came in at $46.82.  For the first time I was even able to use some of this dividend money to purchase shares of Kinder Morgan(KMI) which was the second purchase I made in March.  Now for the important part, the breakdown of my spending for March vs dividend income.  


Holy moley is that a green bar I see?!  Prior to this month special equipment (a magnifying glass) was required to see my dividend income compared to my spending.  This month a good pair of reading glasses is all it takes.  We are movin' on up in the world!  This month I was able to cover 2.01% of my total expenses with dividend income alone.  In comparison last month I was only able to cover 0.618% of the expenses.  This is fantastic considering that March was also my most expensive month of the year.  Next month should be another big one as some of my largest positions pay out in April.  Hope you all had a great March!

Disclosure: Long PSEC, MCD, TGT, CVX, INTC, KMI


18 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Let that snowball grow. Looking forward to seeing how the next quarter compares to the first given the consistent investing and increased portfolio size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. W2R,

      I agree that is where it really counts, comparing quarterly results vs the monthly comparisons. Next month I will be able to do this for the first time and I am really excited to see the outcome! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Great stuff. Step by step you will get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you FFdividend,

      I agree, consistency is key!

      Delete
  3. The green grass is starting to grow I can see, congratulations!

    Great month for Dividend Income. A jump from 0.6% to 2% is definitely worth celebrating as well.

    What a great feeling to use the dividend income to reinvest with. This is the start of big growth for you. Your monthly/annual dividend growth is going to go skywards as you can continue to do this.

    Well done, and keep up the good work! :-)

    Cheers
    huw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Huw,

      It is starting to grow just in time for spring! I am very happy with the increase and I am mostly excited to see how this month goes because I can directly compare it with the dividends I picked up in January and see the real growth. I was pretty excited to use those dividends to pick up my first share. Take care and thank you for stopping in!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the dividend income, Dividendasaur. Im starting to see the upward trend already :)

    Keep it up. Best wishes
    regards
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R2R,

      It is always motivating to see that trend moving in the right direction. I love having something to look forward to every single month! Thank you for commenting and have a wonderful April!

      Delete
  5. Dividendasaur,

    Wow. Nice job, man. That little green bar is going to slowly grow over time, just like a green tree. Just keep feeding it fresh capital. :)

    Keep up the great work!

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason!

      It is great to see results so early in this process. It just motivates me to keep pressing forward. I can't wait to see what next quarter/year etc brings.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Nice job my friend.

    Congrats on the new monthly dividend high and covering 2% of your expenses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richie! It was nice to finally see that bar without squinting at the screen. As long as we remain consistent and stay the course I will see you down the line in comfortable retiredland.

      Delete
  7. Dividendasaur,

    Nice job covering 2% of your expenses already. Congrats on finding a house and moving forward on this journey. I'm sure you'll always remember that phrase and how it started from almost 0, to covering a couple subway sandwiches, to covering all food expenses.

    Then onto the next expense and so on until the income exceeds and outgrows everything and possibly even the new mortgage payments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that is exactly how I look at the dividend income. For some reason my favorite monetary unit is the subway sandwich. I guess it just makes the money feel more real. I do like to compare the income to my monthly spending. First it covers haircuts and pet food and slowly it creeps up into the larger and larger monthly bills. Thank you for the kind words and the laugh, take care!

      Delete
  8. I see that green bar getting bigger! Great work, I can't wait for next months update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Captain,

      It feels great to watch that little bar grow. I have already hit a new record with dividends this month and I still have more that will pay! I am extremely excited. Thank you for stopping in!

      Delete
  9. It's fun to see that dividend income increase and cover more and more of your expenses. Even if it's slower than you'd like. That's pretty cool that April is a big payout month for you. The Mar schedule is by far my biggest but the Jan and Feb schedules are getting up there. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like the April schedule is my biggest payer currently with the Feb/May/etc schedule being my smallest. As the portfolio grows I'm sure this will change because there are many positions currently on my watchlist that pay this schedule, I just have to be patient and wait for the right time to swoop in. Thank you for stopping in and take care!

      Delete